Friday, January 21, 2011

The Wave Desk: a work in progress


After developing a full scale sample of my chair, I got to thinking, "where might this chair live?" And so I set about creating a family of objects with related a form. What I've pictured here is a model of a 5 legged desk in 1/4 scale, (actual size 32" x 80") which I've named THE WAVE DESK. Drawing on the meaty, tapered leg design, the desk and chair suit each other: the legs all working together visually. The desks 5th leg is unnecessary from a structural standpoint, but I find it adds life to the design.

The blond top is cut in a wavelike arc, with a complimentary walnut retainer board. This addition will prevent pencils and such from rolling off the back, much like a nautical table, but It is also a playful reference to the tail fins of 50's automobiles (a hotted up ‘57 Chevy was my first car) . The concave drawer front, angled toward the user for ease of use, also keys in to the geometric theme. With more people moving to laptop computers, I intend to offer a roll out keyboard tray as an option for those who still prefer desktop computers.


The choice of contrasting woods will likely be Black Walnut legs with a Curly Maple top. I have located some spectacular material, and as with my past designs, i will showcase the inherent beauty of the wood. Also in the works is a design for the WAVE dining table to seat 8. Even more legs! I will keep you posted.
...Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment